[Python-Dev] PEP 407: New release cycle and introducing long-term support versions

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 23:24:09 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 1:34 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Under the proposed scheme, there would be two kinds of feature
> versions (sometimes dubbed "minor versions", for example 3.2 or 3.3):
> normal feature versions and long-term support (LTS) versions.
> A new feature version would be released every X months.  We
> tentatively propose X = 6 months.
>
> LTS versions would be one out of N feature versions.  We tentatively
> propose N = 4.

It sounds like every six months we would get a new feature version,
with every fourth one an LTS release.  That sounds great, but, unless
I've misunderstood, there has been a strong desire to keep that number
to one digit.  It doesn't matter to me all that much.  However, if
there is such a limit, implied or explicit, it should be mentioned and
factor into the PEP.

That aside, +1.

-eric