[Python-Dev] Sphinx version for Python 2.x docs

Sandro Tosi matrixhasu at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 19:02:13 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 16:42, Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
> Hi,

>>> That’s a mistake I did in cefe4f38fa0e.  This sentence should be removed.
>>
>> Do you mean revert this whole hunk:
>> [...]
>>
>> or just "The :keyword:`nonlocal` allows writing to outer scopes."?
>

> My proposal was to remove just that one last sentence, but the only
> other change in the diff hunk is the addition of “by default”, which is
> connected to the existence of nonlocal.  Both changes, i.e. the whole
> hunk, should be reverted (I think I’ll have time to do that today).

I've reverted it with ef1612a6a4f7

>>> Need to use :meth:`.next` to let Sphinx find the right target (more info
>>> on request :)
>>
>> it seems what it needed to was :meth:`next` (without the dot). The
>> current page links all 'next' in file.next() to functions.html#next,
>> and using :meth:`next` does that.
>

> I should have given more info, as I wanted the opposite result :)
> file.next should not link to the next function but to the file.next
> method.  Because Sphinx does not differentiate between
> meth/func/class/mod roles, :meth:`next` is not resolved to the nearest
> next method as one could expect but to the next function, so we have to
> use :meth:`~SomeClass.next` or :meth:`.next` (local ref markup) to get
> our links to methods.

I tried :meth:`.next` but got a lots of :

/home/morph/cpython/py27/Doc/library/stdtypes.rst:2372: WARNING: more
than one target found for cross-reference u'next': iterator.next,
multifile.MultiFile.next, csv.csvreader.next, dbhash.dbhash.next,
mailbox.oldmailbox.next, ttk.Treeview.next, nntplib.NNTP.next,
file.next, bsddb.bsddbobject.next, tarfile.TarFile.next,
generator.next

so I ended up with :meth:`next` but it was still wrong. I've committed
51e11b4937b7 which uses :meth:`~file.next` instead, and it works.

Cheers,