[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython: provide a common method to check for RETR_DATA validity, first checking the

Éric Araujo merwok at netwok.org
Tue Jan 17 18:27:31 CET 2012

Hi Giampaolo,

> changeset:   53a5a5b8859d
> user:        Giampaolo Rodola' <g.rodola at gmail.com>
> date:        Mon Jan 09 17:10:10 2012 +0100
> summary:
>   provide a common method to check for RETR_DATA validity, first
> checking the expected len and then the actual data content; this
> way we get a failure on len mismatch rather than content mismatch
> (which is very long and unreadable)

My trick is to convert long strings to lists (with
data.split(appropriate line ending)) and pass them to assertEqual.
Then I get more readable element-based diffs when there is a test
failure.

Another trick I use is this (for example when I don’t want to make
too much diff noise, or when I don’t want to build the list of
expected results):

   self.assertEqual(len(got), 3, got)

unittest will print the third argument on failure.

Regards