[Python-Dev] os.walk() with followlinks=False

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 12:47:16 CET 2012

On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 12:54 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 12:25:46 +1000
> Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If it's the latter... could we change it for 3.3, or is that too
>> significant a breach of backwards compatibility?
>
> I think we could change it.

For the benefit of those not following the tracker issue,
Charles-François pointed out that putting the symlinks-to-directories
into the files list instead of the subdirectory list isn't really any
better (it just moves the problem to different use cases, such as
those that actually want to read the file contents).

With that being the case, I've changed my mind and figure we may as
well leave the current behaviour alone. I'll think about adding a
filter to walkdir that makes it easy to control the way they're
handled [1].

[1] https://bitbucket.org/ncoghlan/walkdir/issue/9/better-handling-of-dir-symlinks

Cheers,
Nick.