[Python-Dev] os.walk() with followlinks=False

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 03:25:46 CET 2012

When discussing http://bugs.python.org/issue13734, Charles-François
noted that when os.walk() is called with "followlinks=False", symlinks
to directories are still included in the "subdirs" list rather than
the "files" list.

This seems rather odd to me, so I'm asking here to see if there's a
specific rationale for it, or if it's just an artifact of the
implementation.

If it's the latter... could we change it for 3.3, or is that too
significant a breach of backwards compatibility?

Even if we can't change os.walk(), does os.walkfd() need to replicate
the annoying behaviour for consistency, or can it instead consider
such symlinks to be files rather than directories?

Cheers,
Nick.