[Python-Dev] Python as a Metro-style App

martin at v.loewis.de martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Jan 7 23:07:33 CET 2012

Zitat von Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org>:

> 2012/1/7 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
>> I just tried porting Python as a Metro (Windows 8) App, and failed.
>
> Is this required for Python to run on Windows 8?

No. Existing applications ("desktop applications") will continue to work
unmodified. Metro-style apps are primarily intended for smart phones and
tablet PCs, and will be distributed through the Windows app store. The
current VS prerelease supports both Intel and ARM processors for Apps.

A related question is whether Python will compile unmodified with Visual
Studio 11. Although I had some difficulties with that also so far, I expect
that this will ultimately work (although not unmodified - the project files
need to be updated, as will the packaging process).

A then-related question is whether Python 3.3 should be compiled with Visual
Studio 11. I'd still be in favor of that, provided Microsoft manages
to release
that soon enough.

Regards,
Martin