[Python-Dev] What's required to keep OS/2 support in Python 3.3

Paul Smedley paul at smedley.id.au
Fri Jan 6 20:58:00 CET 2012

Hi All,

On 06/01/12 19:22, Paul Smedley wrote:
> I'm a little slow in responding to
> http://blog.python.org/2011/05/python-33-to-drop-support-for-os2.html,
> but I'm interested in stepping up to help maintain OS/2 support in
> Python 3.3 and above.
>
> I've been building Python 2.x for a while, and currently have binaries
> of 2.6.5 available from http://os2ports.smedley.info
>
> Unlike Andrew Mcintyre, I'm using libc for development
> (http://svn.netlabs.org/libc) rather than emx. libc is still being
> developed whereas emx hasn't been updated in about 10 years.
>
> I haven't attempted a build of 3.x yet, but will grab the latest 3.x
> release and see what it takes to get it building here. I expect I'll hit
> the same problem with sysconfig.get_config_var("CONFIG_ARGS"): as with
> 2.7.2 but we'll wait and see.

I now have a dll and exe - however when it tried to build the modules,
it dies with:
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Fatal Python error: Py_Initialize: Unable to get the locale encoding
LookupError: no codec search functions registered: can't find encoding

Have done a small amount of debugging:
in get_codeset(),     char* codeset = nl_langinfo(CODESET);
returns: ISO8859-1

Which can't be found by:
     codec = _PyCodec_Lookup(encoding);

from
get_codec_name(const char *encoding)

Where is the list of valid codepages read from? Should ISO8859-1 be
valid? I see some references to ISO-8859-1 in the code but not ISO8859-1

TIA,

Paul