[Python-Dev] PEP 7 clarification request: braces

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Jan 3 01:54:42 CET 2012

On Mon, Jan 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Raymond Hettinger
> <raymond.hettinger at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Running  ``grep -B1 else Objects/*c`` shows that we've happily lived
> with a
> > mixture of styles for a very long time.
> > ISTM, our committers have had good instincts about when braces add
> clarity
> > and when they add clutter.
> > If Nick pushes through an always-use-braces mandate, A LOT of code will
> need
> > to be changed.
>
> Nah, I was asking a genuine question, not pushing anything in
> particular. I *thought* the code base was more consistent than it is,
> but it turns out that was an error of perception on my part, rather
> than an objective fact.
>
> With my perception of the status quo corrected, I can stop worrying
> about preserving a non-existent consistency.

Amen. And, as the (nominal) author of the PEP, the PEP didn't mean to state
an opinion on whether braces are mandatory. It only meant to state how they
should be placed when they are there. It's true that there are other
readings possible, but that's what I meant. If someone wants to change the
wording to clarify this, go right ahead.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)