[Python-Dev] PEP 7 clarification request: braces

Raymond Hettinger raymond.hettinger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 23:32:14 CET 2012

On Jan 2, 2012, at 12:31 PM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:

> I might add that assuming you have braces, PEP 7 would want you to format it as
>
> if (cond) {
>    statement;
> }
> else {
>    more_stuff;
> }

Running  ``grep -B1 else Objects/*c`` shows that we've happily lived with a mixture of styles for a very long time.
ISTM, our committers have had good instincts about when braces add clarity and when they add clutter.
If Nick pushes through an always-use-braces mandate, A LOT of code will need to be changed.

Raymond