[Python-Dev] PEP 7 clarification request: braces

Tim Delaney timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 23:09:49 CET 2012

On 3 January 2012 08:50, Larry Hastings <larry at hastings.org> wrote:

> On 01/02/2012 12:47 AM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:
>
>> Really?  Do we need to have a brace war?
>> People have different preferences.
>> The standard library includes some of both styles
>> depending on what the maintainer thought was cleanest to their eyes in a
>> given context.
>>

> I'm with Raymond.  Code should be readable, and code reviews are the best
> way to achieve that--not endlessly specific formatting rules.
>
> Have there been bugs in CPython that the proposed new PEP 7 rule would
> have prevented?

I've found that until someone has experienced multiple nasty bugs caused by
not always using braces, it's nearly impossible to convince them of why you
should. Afterwards it'simpossible to convince them (me) that you shouldn't
always use braces.

I'd also point out that if you're expecting braces, not having them can
make the code less readable. A consistent format tends to make for more
readable code.

Cheers,

Tim Delaney