[Python-Dev] PEP 414 - Unicode Literals for Python 3

Lennart Regebro regebro at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 08:23:44 CET 2012

I'm +1 on the PEP, for reasons already repeated here.
We need three types of strings when supporting both Python 2 and
Python 3. A binary string, a unicode string and a "native" string, ie
one that is the old 8-bit str in python 2 but a Unicode str in Python
3.

Adding back the u'' prefix is the easiest, most
obvious/intuitive/pythong/whatever way of getting that support, that
requires the least amount of code change, and the least ugly code.

--
Lennart Regebro: http://regebro.wordpress.com/
Porting to Python 3: http://python3porting.com/