[Python-Dev] PEP 414 - Unicode Literals for Python 3

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 23:02:10 CET 2012

Armin Ronacher <armin.ronacher <at> active-4.com> writes:

> On 2/27/12 9:36 PM, Antoine Pitrou wrote:
> > You don't want to be 3.2-compatible?
> See the PEP.  It shows how it would still be 3.2 compatible at
> installation time due to an installation hook that would be provided.

I thought Antoine was just responding to the fact that Ethan's comment didn't
mention 3.2.

Re. the installation hook, let me get this right. If I have to work with code
that needs to run under 3.2 or earlier *and* 3.3, and say that because this PEP
has been accepted, the code contains both u'xxx' and 'yyy' forms of Unicode
literal, then I can't just edit-save-test, right? I have to run your hook every
time I want to switch between testing with 3.3 and 3.2 (say). Isn't this exactly
the same problem as with running 2to3, except that your hook might run faster?
I'm not convinced you can guarantee a seamless testing experience ;-)

Regards,

Vinay Sajip