[Python-Dev] http://pythonmentors.com/

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Thu Feb 23 09:44:31 CET 2012

Brian Curtin writes:
 > On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 01:15, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
 > > Brian Curtin writes:
 > >
 > >  > If you want to contribute to development, I think you'll know that a
 > >  > link about development is relevant.
 > >
 > > For values of "you" in "experienced programmers", yes.  But
 > > translators and tech writers don't consider what they do to be
 > > "development."
 >
 > I don't know what this is saying, but I'll guess it's some suggestion
 > that we should still name the link "Contributing".

No, it's saying that there are a lot of potential contributors for
whom "Core Development" is pretty obviously not where they want to
go.  There should be a link that is the obvious place for them to go,
and there currently isn't one.

I don't have a problem with the presence of a "core development" link
that goes to the devguide.  I do have a problem with failing to invite
people who are not at present interested in contributing code or money
to contribute what they have.  The next question is how many links do
we want in that sidebar; I think there may already be too many.  But
I'm not a web designer to have a strong opinion on that.