[Python-Dev] CPU vs Wall time Profiling

Sümer Cip sumerc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 07:49:07 CET 2012

> The original reason was that the Unix wall clock was more accurate
> than its CPU clock. If that's changed we should probably (perhaps in a
> platform-dependent way) change the default to the most accurate clock
> available.

Currently it seems clock_gettime() APIs have nanosecond resolution and OTOH
gettimeofday() have microsecond. Other than that, clock_gettime() has a
significant advantage: it has per-process timer available which will
increase the accuracy of the timing information of the profiled
application.

--
Sumer Cip