[Python-Dev] folding cElementTree behind ElementTree in 3.3

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 17 23:04:01 CET 2012

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 4:29 AM, Ezio Melotti <ezio.melotti at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm assuming that eventually the module will be removed (maybe for Python
> 4?), and I don't expect nor want to seen it removed in the near future.
> If something gets removed it should be deprecated first, and it's usually
> better to deprecate it sooner so that the developers have more time to
> update their code.

Not really - as soon as we programmatically deprecate something, it
means anyone with a strict warnings policy (or with customers that
have such a policy) has to update their code *now*. (Previously it was
even worse than that, which is why deprecation warnings are no longer
displayed by default).

For things that we have no intention of deprecating in 3.x, but will
likely ditch in a hypothetical future Python 4000, we'll almost
certainly do exactly what we did with Pyk: later in the 3.x series,
add a "-4" command line switch and a sys.py4kwarning flag to trigger
conditional deprecation warnings.

So, assuming things continue as they have for the first couple of
decades of Python's existence, we can probably start worrying about it
some time around 2020 :)

Cheers,
Nick.