[Python-Dev] A new dictionary implementation

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 22:09:17 CET 2012

Hello Mark,

First, I've back-ported your patch on python 3.2.2 (which was relatively
easy).  Almost all tests pass, and those that don't are always failing on
my machine if I remember.  The patch can be found here: http://goo.gl/nSzzY

Then, I compared memory footprint of one of our applications (300,000 LOC)
and saw it about 6% less than on vanilla python 3.2.2 (660 MB of reserved
process memory compared to 702 MB; Linux Gentoo 64bit) The application is
written in heavy OOP style (for instance, ~1000 classes are generated by our
ORM on the fly, and there are approximately the same amount of hand-written
ones) so I hoped for a much bigger saving.

As for the patch itself I found one use-case, where python with the patch
behaves differently::

  class Foo:
      def __init__(self, msg):
          self.msg = msg

  f = Foo('123')

  class _str(str):
      pass

  print(f.msg)
  print(getattr(f, _str('msg')))

The above snippet works perfectly on vanilla py3.2, but fails on the patched
one  (even on 3.3 compiled from your 'cpython_new_dict' branch)  I'm not sure
that it's a valid code, though.  If not, then we need to fix some python
internals to add exact type  check in 'getattr', in the 'operator.getattr', etc.
And if it is - your  patch needs to be fixed.  In any case, I propose to add
the above code to the  python test-suite, with either expecting a result or an
exception.

Cheers,
Yury