[Python-Dev] Switching to Visual Studio 2010

Catalin Iacob iacobcatalin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 22:37:46 CET 2012

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:43 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:
> P.S. Here is my personal list of requirements and non-requirements:
> - must generate binaries that run on Windows XP

I recently read about Firefox switching to VS2010 and therefore
needing to drop support for Windows 2000, XP RTM (no service pack) and
XP SP1. Indeed, [1] confirms that the VS2010 runtime (it's not clear
if the C one, the C++ one or both) needs XP SP2 or higher.

Just thought I'd share this so that an informed decision can be made,
in my opinion it would be ok for Python 3.3 to drop everything prior
to XP SP2.

Maybe not very relevant, but [2] has some mention of statistics for
Firefox usage on systems prior to XP SP2.

[1] http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/526821/executables-built-with-visual-c-2010-do-not-run-on-windows-xp-prior-to-sp2
[2] http://weblogs.mozillazine.org/asa/archives/2012/01/end_of_firefox_win2k.html