[Python-Dev] More compact dictionaries with faster iteration

Armin Rigo arigo at tunes.org
Mon Dec 10 19:01:51 CET 2012

Hi Philip,

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 5:16 PM, PJ Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> On the other hand, this would also make a fast ordered dictionary
> subclass possible, just by not using the free list for additions,
> combined with periodic compaction before adds or after deletes.

Technically, I could see Python switching to ordered dictionaries
everywhere.  Raymond's insight suddenly makes it easy for CPython and
PyPy, and at least Jython could use the LinkedHashMap class (although
this would need checking with Jython guys).  I'd vaguely argue that
dictionary orders are one of the few non-reproducible factors in a
Python program, so it might be a good thing.  But only vaguely ---
maybe I got far too used to random orders over time...

A bientôt,

Armin.