[Python-Dev] [Distutils] Is is worth disentangling distutils?

Daniel Holth dholth at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 14:29:02 CET 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Antonio Cavallo <a.cavallo at cavallinux.eu>wrote:

> Hi,
> I wonder if is it worth/if there is any interest in trying to "clean" up
> distutils: nothing in terms to add new features, just a *major* cleanup
> retaining the exact same interface.
>

> I'm not planning anything like *adding features* or rewriting rpm/rpmbuild
> here, simply cleaning up that un-holy code mess. Yes it served well, don't
> get me wrong, and I think it did work much better than anything it was
> meant to replace it.
>
> I'm not into the py3 at all so I wonder how possibly it could fit/collide
> into the big plan.
>
> Or I'll be wasting my time?

It has been tried before. IIUC the nature of distutils and extending
distutils is that client code depends on the entire tangle. If you try to
clean it up you will break backwards compatibility.

distutils2 is designed to break backwards compatibility with distutils and
is essentially a cleaned up distutils.

Have you tried Bento? http://bento.readthedocs.org/en/latest/