[Python-Dev] Conflicts [was Re: Keyword meanings [was: Accept just PEP-0426]]

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Dec 9 02:15:34 CET 2012

On 09/12/12 08:14, MRAB wrote:

> If package A says that it conflicts with package B, it may or may not
> be symmetrical, because it's possible that package B has been updated
> since the author of package A discovered the conflict, so it's
> important that the user is told which package is complaining about the
> conflict, the one that is being installed or the one that is already
> installed.

I must admit than in reading this thread, I'm having a bit of trouble
understanding why merely *installing* packages should lead to conflicts.

Assuming that two software packages Spam and Ham install into directories
Spam and Ham, how can merely having them installed side-by-side lead to a
conflict?

I can see how running or importing Spam and Ham together might lead to
problems. And I can see that if package Spam wants to install into
directory Ham, that would be bad. But who does that?

Have I just demonstrated my naivety when it comes to packaging?

Under what circumstances would two well-behaved packages with different
names conflict?

--
Steven