[Python-Dev] Edits to Metadata 1.2 to add extras (optional dependencies)

Donald Stufft donald.stufft at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 15:23:59 CEST 2012

On Tuesday, August 28, 2012 at 9:09 AM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> It does have the advantage that tools for manipulating the format can
> remain dumber, but that doesn't seem like *that* much of an advantage,
> especially since any such benefit could be eliminated completely by
> just switching to a completely standard ConfigParser format by putting
> the PEP defined settings into a [python] section.

To be more specific, there is setup.cfg (which I dislike for other reasons), and
then there is METADATA. setup.cfg is an ini file but METADATA is a simple
key: value file with a flat namespace so any namespacing you want to do in
METADATA needs to be done at the key level. You could translate:

[setuptools]
requires-dist=foo

in a setup.cfg into

setuptools-requires-dist: foo

in METADATA, but I'm not sure if that would be beneficial or not.