[Python-Dev] python 2.7 + https + urlopen = ?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 04:07:26 CEST 2012

On Mon, Aug 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM, Python Urlopen <urllib3 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> which shows you that 2.6 has a patch. Then you wonder, why wasn't it included in 2.7 -- and you read -- AP : "No, Python 2 only receives bug fixes.". You instantly hate the guy. Sorry AP, nothing personal, but please do not reply to this post. I think I know what your reply will be.

It's not merely Antoine that will give that reply.

Yes, there are many features that Python 2 is lacking relative to the
Python 3 series. That's what "maintenance mode" means. It's incredibly
frustrating when you hit one of them (for myself, I feel the pain
every time an error in an exception handler conceals the original
exception).

The available solutions are:
1. Use a third party PyPI package which offers that feature (in this
case, the requirement seems to be to use PyOpenSSL)
2. Upgrade to Python 3
3. Fork Python 2 to create a Python 2.8 which adds new backported
features from the Python 3 series

That last option has indeed been discussed by a few people at various
times, but the first option generally ends up being the preferred
choice if the second isn't yet viable due to missing dependencies.

Regards,
Nick.