[Python-Dev] Is it safe to assume that Python 2.7 is always built with unicode support?

Stefano Taschini taschini at ieee.org
Thu Apr 26 11:39:33 CEST 2012

Hello every one,

I'm looking into issue 1065986 [1], and in order to submit a patch I need
to know whether I have to take into account the eventuality that cpyhon 2.7
be built without unicode support.

As far as I can see it is no longer possible to configure cpython 2.7 with
--disable-unicode as a consequence of the merge 59157:62babf456005 on 27
Feb 2010 of the commit 59153:8b2048bca33c of the same day.

Since I could not find an discussion on the topic leading explicitly to
this decision, I was wondering whether this is in fact an unintended
consequence of the check introduced in 59153:8b2048bca33c, which excludes
"no" from the acceptable values for configuring unicode support.

In conclusion, can you guys confirm that I don't have to worry that cpython
2.7 could be built with no unicode support? Or not?

If so, shouldn't it be properly documented, at least in Misc/NEWS ?

Bye,
Stefano

[1] http://bugs.python.org/issue1065986