[Python-Dev] Handling deprecations in the face of PEP 384

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sat Apr 21 22:55:52 CEST 2012

> From my reading of PEP 384 that means I would need to at least deprecate
> PyImport_getMagicTag(), correct (assuming I follow through with this; I
> might not bother)?

All that PEP 384 gives you is that you MAY deprecate certain API
(namely, all API not guaranteed as stable). If an API is not in the
restricted set, this doesn't mean that it SHOULD be deprecated at
some point. So there is no need to deprecate anything.

OTOH, if the new implementation cannot readily support the
API anymore, it can certainly go away. If it was truly private
(i.e. _Py_*), it can go away immediately. Otherwise, it should be
deprecated-then-removed.

Regards,
Martin