[Python-Dev] Suggested addition to PEP 8 for context managers

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Apr 16 17:30:37 CEST 2012

On Apr 15, 2012, at 01:13 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

>We should publish some advice on creating content managers.

I agree, I'm just not sure PEP 8 is the right place for it.

PEP 8 seems like it is structured more as mechanical guidelines for the look
and feel of code, not so much for the semantic content of the code.  As such,
including best practices for naming context managers would both appear
out-of-place, and possibly get lost in all the whitespace noise :).

Perhaps the contextlib docs are a better place for this?

-Barry