[Python-Dev] importlib is now bootstrapped (and what that means)

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Mon Apr 16 17:21:34 CEST 2012

On Mon, Apr 16, 2012 at 10:07, "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de> wrote:

> > We have other instances of this (e.g. the Objects/typeslots.inc file
> > is generated and checked in), but in the case of importlib, we have
> > to use the ./python binary for freezing to avoid bytecode
> > incompatibilities, which obviously is a problem if ./python isn't
> > built yet.
>
> As for dependencies on byte code: we could consider using Cython instead
> of freeze (not sure whether Cython would build the bootstrap correctly;
> it may need to be fixed first). With that, we would get semi-readable
> source code, which should also play more nicely with hg diffs. On the
> down side, we would depend on Cython for evolving .

We could also just store the raw source code and use that if we are all
willing to pay the performance cost of parsing and compiling the code at
every startup.

> As for the timestamp issue: I think we should add a target "make touch"
> or some such which checks whether the respective files are unmodified
> in the local clone, and if so, arranges to touch generated files that
> are older than their sources. If this is done by a plain shell script,
> one could also make this a post-update Mercurial hook.

So like execute hg diff on the dependent files and if nothing changed then
touch the auto-generated file w/ 'touch' to prevent future attempts to
execute the target?

-Brett