[Python-Dev] an alternative to embedding policy in PEP 418 (was: PEP 418: Add monotonic clock)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 01:46:57 CEST 2012

On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 9:38 AM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:
> I could do this. I think I'm -0 on it, because it doesn't seem more
> expressive to my eye than the straight make-a-bitmask "|" form.
> Other opinions?

Yes. I've been mostly staying out of the PEP 418 clock discussion
(there are enough oars in there already), but numeric flags are
unnecessarily hard to debug. Use strings as your constants unless
there's a compelling reason not to.

Seeing "('MONOTONIC', 'HIGHRES')" in a debugger or exception message
is a lot more informative than seeing "3".

Regards,
Nick.