[Python-Dev] Issue 14417: consequences of new dict runtime error

Etienne Robillard animelovin at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 17:49:44 CEST 2012

On 03/30/2012 03:25 PM, R. David Murray wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Mar 2012 15:13:36 -0400, Etienne Robillard<animelovin at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> So far I was only attempting to verify whether this is related to
>> PEP-416 or not. If this is indeed related PEP 416, then I must obviously
>> attest that I must still understand why a immutable dict would prevent
>> this bug or not...
>
> OK, that seems to be the source of your confusion, then.  This has
> nothing to do with PEP-416.
>
> We are talking about issue Issue 14417 (like it says in the subject),
> which in turn is a reaction to the fix for issue 14205.
>
> --David

Don't be so naive, David. This issue is more likely related to immutable
dicts whether you like it or not, otherwise there would be no need to
patch python 3.3 and include a new dict proxy type without exposing it
fully.

And secondly this is not only a speculation but my humble understanding
of the interdependencies which seems to be related to the inclusion of a
new dict proxy (immutable) mapper affecting invariably code expecting a
mutable dictionary lookup to succeed whenever the dict structure has
changed by (ie) overriding __hash__.

Now if you don't mind, I don't mind to remind you how cell phones can
be unsafe on an extended period of times for your health and brain so I
really don't recommend their uses for cloud-based platforms requiring
more advanced thread locking mecanism than what is being included in
traditional CPython using standard (mutable) dicts.

Regards,
Etienne