[Python-Dev] Hg tips

Xavier Morel catch-all at masklinn.net
Thu Sep 29 12:34:34 CEST 2011

On 2011-09-29, at 12:07 , Victor Stinner wrote:

> * I disabled the merge GUI: I lose a lot of work because I'm unable to use a GUI to do merge, I don't understand what are the 3 versions of the same file (which one is the merged version!?)
Generally none. By default, mercurial (and most similar tools) sets up LOCAL, BASE and OTHER. BASE is the last "common" state, LOCAL is the locally modified file and OTHER is the remotely modified file (which you're trying to merge).

The behavior after that depends, mercurial has an OUTPUT pointer (for the result file), many tools just write the non-postfixed file with the merge result. And depending on your precise tool it can attempt to perform its own merge resolution before showing you the files, or just show you the three files provided and you set up your changes into BASE from LOCAL and OTHER.

If you reach that state, it's becaused mercurial could not automatically process the merge so there's no merged version to display.

Maybe thinking of it as a file with conflict markers split into three (one without the conflicting sections, one with only the first part of the sections and one with only the second part) would make it clearer?