[Python-Dev] PEP 393 Summer of Code Project

fwierzbicki at gmail.com fwierzbicki at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 00:50:45 CEST 2011

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> I have a different question about IronPython and Jython now. Do their
> regular expression libraries support Unicode better than CPython's?
> E.g. does "." match a surrogate pair? Tom C suggests that Java's regex
> libraries get this and many other details right despite Java's use of
> UTF-16 to represent strings. So hopefully Jython's re library is built
> on top of Java's?
Even bigger oops - I answered the thread questions and not this
specific one.  Currently Jython's re is a Jython specific
implementation and so is not likely to benefit from the improvements
in Java's re implementation. I think in terms of PEP 393 this should
probably be considered a bug that we need to fix...

-Frank Wierzbicki