[Python-Dev] PEP 393 Summer of Code Project

Neil Hodgson nyamatongwe at gmail.com
Thu Sep 1 10:05:41 CEST 2011

Glenn Linderman:

> How many different iterators into the same text would be concurrently needed
> by an application?  And why? Seems like if it is dealing with text at the
> level of grapheme clusters, it needs that type of iterator.  Of course, if
> it does I/O it needs codec access, but that is by nature sequential from the
> starting point to the end point.

   I would expect that there would mostly be a single iterator into a
string but can imagine scenarios in which multiple iterators may be
concurrently active and that these could be of different types. For
example, say we wanted to search for each code point in a text that
fails some test (such as being a member of a set of unwanted vowel
diacritics) and then display that failure in context with its
surrounding text of up to 30 graphemes either side.

   Neil