[Python-Dev] draft PEP: virtual environments

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 31 16:35:42 CET 2011

Carl Meyer <carl <at> oddbird.net> writes:

> I don't see any advantage to zipping. If done at install-time (which is
> necessary to make the scripts maintainable in the source tree) it also
> has the downside of introducing another difficulty in supporting source
> builds equivalently to installed builds.

That's true, I hadn't thought of that. So then it sounds like the thing to do is
make venv a package and have the code in venv/__init__.py, then have the scripts
in a 'scripts' subdirectory below that. The API would then change to take the
absolute pathname of the scripts directory to install from, right?

Regards,

Vinay Sajip