[Python-Dev] PEP397 no command line options to python?

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Oct 17 16:20:27 CEST 2011

Sam Partington <sam.partington <at> gmail.com> writes:

> That sounds like an explanation of why it hasn't been implemented
> before, not an explanation of why it should continue that way.

>From a desire to keep the launcher as simple as possible, and to minimise the
need to synchronise the launcher with command line parameter changes in future
versions of Python.

> In any case, I think that expectation is not complete. In my case it
> was my editor that inserted the '-u' on my behalf.
>
> Or why might I not set the default action for .py files to be "py -tt
> %1", or "py -3 %1".
>
> Why deny any of the arguments to a pylauncher user?

Don't forget that customised commands allow Python to be invoked from shebang
lines with fair flexibility.

> >> Incidentally whilst implementing this I also noticed a bug in the
> >> pylauncher whereby the py launcher would incorrectly treat "py t3" as
> >> a request for python version as if '-3' had been specified.  I have a
> >> small patch that fixes this and implements the above for pylauncher
> >> with extra tests if there is interest.
> >
> > That certainly sounds like a bug and a patch sent to
> > https://bitbucket.org/vinay.sajip/pylauncher will be appreciated!
>
> The patch does both the bug fix and the arg skipping at present, but
> I'll happily separate them if needs be.

Don't worry about separating them for now, assuming that it's fairly easy to
figure out which bit is which :-)

Thanks & regards,

Vinay Sajip