[Python-Dev] Packaging and binary distributions for Python 3.3

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Sun Oct 16 16:40:58 CEST 2011

On 13 October 2011 17:25, Éric Araujo <merwok at netwok.org> wrote:
>> My expectation would be that the user would type pysetup install
>> some_binary_format_file.zip and have that file unpacked and all the
>> "bits" put in the appropriate place. Basically just like installing
>> from a source archive - pysetup install project-1.0.tar.gz - but
>> skipping the compile steps because the compiler output files are
>> present.
> Yep.
>
>> That may need some extra intelligence in pysetup if it doesn't have
>> this feature already [...] just unzip the bits into the right place,
>> or something similar.
> Yes.  The bdist can be just like an sdist, but it contains compiled
> files instead of C source files (maybe setuptools bdist_egg is just
> that), then pysetup uses the setup.cfg file to find files and install
> them at the right places.

I have uploaded an initial (working, just needs test, docs and some
testing and possibly tidying up) version of bdist_simple in the
tracker (http://bugs.python.org/issue13189).

Taking note of Martin's comments, it would be nice to at a minimum
have a converter to take a bdist_simple and build
bdist_msi/bdist_wininst from it (and possibly vice versa). I'm not
sure how to go about that at this stage, but I'll work on it.

Paul.