[Python-Dev] Packaging and binary distributions for Python 3.3

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Oct 10 13:58:07 CEST 2011

On 10 October 2011 12:47, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> IIRC, even the Express edition should still work once the 64 bit
> Platform SDK is installed. Regardless, the intent is that it should be
> possible to build Python with only the free tools from MS. If they
> broke the Express editions such that extra tools are needed, suggested
> updates to the devguide [1] would be appreciated.
>
> [1] http://docs.python.org/devguide/setup.html#windows

It's the "once the 64 bit platform SDK is installed" bit that's the
pain. To just build a test setup for a 32-bit PC it's a shame that you
need to install a load of 64-bit tools.

Hmm, looking at the devguide it says you should use VS 2008. If that's
still the case, ignore me - I was using VS 2010 as that's what's
(easily) downloadable.

I've now installed VS Pro 2010. We'll see how that goes. I'd rather
avoid downgrading to VS2008 (or having both at once) just for personal
builds. But will if I have to.

Nothing to see here (other than me not reading the docs), move right
along... :-)

Paul.