[Python-Dev] Disabling cyclic GC in timeit module

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Oct 8 02:51:04 CEST 2011

Antoine Pitrou wrote:
>>> In CPython, looking for reference cycles is a parasitic task that
>>> interferes with what you are trying to measure. It is not critical in
>>> any way, and you can schedule it much less often if it takes too much
>>> CPU, without any really adverse consequences. timeit takes the safe way
>>> and disables it completely.
>>>
>>> In PyPy, it doesn't seem gc.disable() should do anything, since you'd
>>> lose all automatic memory management if the GC was disabled.
>>>
>> it disables finalizers but this is besides the point. the point is
>> that people use timeit module to compute absolute time it takes for
>> CPython to do things, among other things comparing it to PyPy. While I
>> do agree that in microbenchmarks you don't loose much by just
>> disabling it, it does affect larger applications. So answering the
>> question like "how much time will take json encoding in my
>> application" should take cyclic GC time into account.
>
> If you are only measuring json encoding of a few select pieces of data
> then it's a microbenchmark.
> If you are measuring the whole application (or a significant part of it)
> then I'm not sure timeit is the right tool for that.

Perhaps timeit should grow a macro-benchmark tool too? I find myself
often using timeit to time macro-benchmarks simply because it's more
convenient at the interactive interpreter than the alternatives.

Something like this idea perhaps?

http://preshing.com/20110924/timing-your-code-using-pythons-with-statement

--
Steven