[Python-Dev] socket module build failure

Vinay Sajip vinay_sajip at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Oct 7 13:10:53 CEST 2011

I work on Ubuntu Jaunty for my cpython development work - an old version, I
know, but still quite serviceable and has worked well for me over many months.
With the latest default cpython repository, however, I can't run the regression
suite because the socket module now fails to build:

gcc -pthread -fPIC -g -O0 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -IInclude -I.
   -I./Include -I/usr/local/include -I/home/vinay/projects/python/default -c
   /home/vinay/projects/python/default/Modules/socketmodule.c
   -o build/temp.linux-i686-3.3-pydebug/home/vinay/projects/python/default
   /Modules/socketmodule.o
.../Modules/socketmodule.c: In function
‘makesockaddr’:
.../Modules/socketmodule.c:1224: error: ‘AF_CAN’ undeclared (first use in
this function)
.../Modules/socketmodule.c:1224: error: (Each undeclared identifier is
reported only once
.../Modules/socketmodule.c:1224: error: for each function it appears in.)
.../Modules/socketmodule.c: In function
‘getsockaddrarg’:
.../Modules/socketmodule.c:1610: error: ‘AF_CAN’ undeclared (first use in
this function)
.../Modules/socketmodule.c: In function ‘getsockaddrlen’:
.../Modules/socketmodule.c:1750: error: ‘AF_CAN’ undeclared (first use in
this function)

On this system, AF_CAN *is* defined, but in linux/socket.h, not in sys/socket.h.
>From what I can see, sys/socket.h includes bits/socket.h which includes
asm/socket.h, but apparently linux/socket.h isn't included.

Is this a bug which doesn't show up on more recent Linux versions, or is Jaunty
no longer supported for Python development, or could something be wrong with my
configuration? BTW nothing has changed on the machine other than updates to
Jenkins and the cpython repo.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Regards,

Vinay Sajip