[Python-Dev] Status of the built-in virtualenv functionality in 3.3

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 19:23:37 CEST 2011

On 6 October 2011 17:02, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> I don't particularly like the -m interface though.  Yes, it should work, but I
> also think there should be a command that basically wraps whatever the -m
> invocation is, just for user friendliness.

No problem with a wrapper, but the nice thing about the -m form is
that it's portable. On Unix, shell script wrappers are pretty portable
(no idea if C-shell users would agree...) On Windows, though, there
are all sorts of problems. BAT files don't nest, so you end up having
to use atrocities like "CALL virtualenv" within a batch file.
Powershell users prefer .ps1 files. The only common form is an EXE,
but nobody really likes having to use a compiled form every time.

Paul.