[Python-Dev] [Python-checkins] cpython: Implement PEP 393.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 04:48:59 CEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 4:07 PM, Eric V. Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:
> On the other hand, not having this code in stringlib would certainly be
> liberating! Maybe I'll take this opportunity to clean it up and simplify
> it now that it's free of the stringlib constraints.

Yeah, don't sacrifice speed in str.format for a
still-hypothetical-and-potentially-never-going-to-happen bytes
formatting variant. If the latter does happen, the use cases would be
different enough that I'm not even sure the mini-language should
remain entirely the same (e.g. you'd likely want direct access to some
of the struct module formatting more so than str-style formats).

Cheers,
Nick.