[Python-Dev] What it takes to change a single keyword.

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 04:42:54 CEST 2011

2011/10/1 "Martin v. Löwis" <martin at v.loewis.de>:
>> First of all, I am sincerely sorry if this is wrong mailing list to ask
>> this question. I checked out definitions of couple other mailing list,
>> and this one seemed most suitable. Here is my question:
>
> In principle, python-list would be more appropriate, but this really
> is a border case. So welcome!
>
>> Let's say I want to change a single keyword, let's say import keyword,
>> to be spelled as something else, like it's translation to my language. I
>> guess it would be more complicated than modifiying Grammar/Grammar, but
>> I can't be sure which files should get edited.
>
> Hmm. I also think editing Grammar/Grammar should be sufficient. Try
> restricting yourself to ASCII keywords first; this just worked fine for
> me.

For any changes where that isn't sufficient, then
http://docs.python.org/devguide/grammar.html provides a helpful list
of additional places to check (and
http://docs.python.org/devguide/compiler.html provides info on how it
all hangs together).

However, rather than *changing* the keywords, it would likely be
better to allow *alternate* keywords to avoid the problem Martin
mentioned with existing Python code failing to run (including the
entire standard library).

Cheers,
Nick.