[Python-Dev] RFC: Add a new builtin strarray type to Python?

Maciej Fijalkowski fijall at gmail.com
Sun Oct 2 02:33:33 CEST 2011

On Sat, Oct 1, 2011 at 5:21 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Oct 2011 22:06:11 +0200
> Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at haypocalc.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I'm writing this email to ask you if this type solves a real issue, or if
>> > we can just prove the super-fast str.join(list of str).
>>
>> Hum, it looks like "What is the most efficient string concatenation method in
>> python?" in a frequently asked question. There is a recent thread on python-
>> ideas mailing list:

Victor, you can't say it's x times slower. It has different
complexity, so it can be arbitrarily slower.

> So, since people are confused at the number of possible options, you
> propose to add a new option and therefore increase the confusion?
>
> I don't understand why StringIO couldn't simply be optimized a little
> more, if it needs to.
> Or, if straightforward string concatenation really needs to be fast,
> then str + str should be optimized (like it used to be).

As far as I remember str + str is discouraged as a way of
concatenating strings. We in pypy should make it fast if it's *really*
the official way.

StringIO is bytes only I think, which might be a bit of an issue if
you want a unicode at the end.

PyPy's Unicode/String builder are a bit hacks until we come up with
something that can make ''.join faster I think.

Cheers,
fijal