[Python-Dev] Long term development external named branches and periodic merges from python

Jesus Cea jcea at jcea.es
Fri Nov 25 03:39:16 CET 2011

On 24/11/11 18:08, Éric Araujo wrote:
>> I have a question and I would rather have an answer instead of
>> actually trying and getting myself in a messy situation.
> Clones are cheap, trying is cheap! <cheap wink>

I would need to publish another repository online, and instruct the
bug tracker to use it and create a patch, and play for the best or
risk polluding the tracker. Maybe I would be hitting a corner case and
be lucky this time, but not next time.

Better to ask people that know better, I guess.

>> 5. Development of the new feature is taking a long time, and
>> python canonical version keeps moving forward. The clone+branch
>> and the original python version are diverging. Eventually there
>> are changes in python that the programmer would like in her
>> version, so she does a "pull" and then a merge for the original
>> python branch to her named branch.
> I do this all the time.  I work on a fix-nnnn branch, and once a
> week for example I pull and merge the base branch.  Sometimes there
> are no conflicts except Misc/NEWS, sometimes I have to adapt my
> code because of other people’s changes before I can commit the
> merge.

That is good, because that means your patch is always able to be
applied to the original branch tip, and that you changes work with
current work in the mainline.

That is what I want to do, but I need to know that it is safe to do so
(from the "Create Patch" perspective).

>> 6. What would be posted in the bug tracker when she does a new
>> "Create Patch"?. Only her changes, her changes SINCE the merge,
>> her changes plus merged changes or something else?.
> The diff would be equivalent to “hg diff -r base” and would contain
> all the changes she did to add the bug fix or feature.  Merging
> only makes sure that the computed diff does not appear to touch
> unrelated files, IOW that it applies cleanly.  (Barring bugs in
> Mercurial-Roundup integration, we have a few of these in the
> metatracker.)

So you are saying that "Create patch" will ONLY get the differences in
the development branch and not the changes brought in from the merge?.
A "hg diff -r base" -as you indicate- should show all changes in the
branch since creation, included the merges, if I understand it
correctly. I don't want to include the merges, although I want their
effect in my own work (like changing patch offset).

That is, is that merge safe for "Create Patch"?. Your answer seems to
indicate "yes", but I rather prefer an explicit "yes" that an
"implicit" yes :). Python Zen! :).

PS: Sorry if I am being blunt. My (lack of) social skills are legendary.

- --
Jesus Cea Avion                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at jcea.es - http://www.jcea.es/     _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/
jabber / xmpp:jcea at jabber.org         _/_/    _/_/          _/_/_/_/_/