[Python-Dev] how to find the file path to an extension module at init time?

mark florisson markflorisson88 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 14 12:55:10 CET 2011

On 14 November 2011 08:18, Stefan Behnel <stefan_ml at behnel.de> wrote:
> "Martin v. Löwis", 13.11.2011 21:46:
>>>
>>> I'm asking specifically because I'd like to properly implement __file__
>>> in Cython modules at module init time.
>>
>> Why do you need to implement __file__? Python will set it eventually to
>> its correct value, no?
>
> Well, yes, eventually. However, almost all real world usages are at module
> init time, not afterwards. So having CPython set it after running through
> the module global code doesn't help much.

Perhaps Cython could detect use of __file__ at module scope (if this
package context function is not available), and if it's used it tries
to use something akin to imp.find_module(__name__) to find the path to
the file and set __file__ manually. It should handle dots out of the
box and perhaps not rely on any __path__ attributes of packages (I
think not many people change __path__ or use pkgutil anyway).
Would this be feasible for python < 3.3?