[Python-Dev] Deprecate codecs.open() and StreamWriter/StreamReader

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Wed May 25 11:38:10 CEST 2011

Walter Dörwald wrote:
> On 24.05.11 12:58, Victor Stinner wrote:
>> Le mardi 24 mai 2011 à 12:42 +0200, Łukasz Langa a écrit :
>>> Wiadomość napisana przez Walter Dörwald w dniu 2011-05-24, o godz. 12:16:

>>> Why not?
>>
>> We have already an implementation of this idea, it is called
>> io.TextIOWrapper.
>
> Exactly.
>
> From another post by Victor:
>
>> As I wrote, codecs.open() is useful in Python 2. But I don't know any
>> program or library using directly StreamReader or StreamWriter.
>
> So: implementing this is a lot of work, duplicates existing
> functionality and is mostly unused.

You are missing the point: we have StreamReader and StreamWriter APIs
on codecs to allow each codecs to implement more efficient ways of
encoding and decoding streams.

Examples of such optimizations are reading the stream in
chunks that can be decoded in one piece, or writing to the stream
in a way that doesn't generate encoding state problems on the
receiving end by ending transmission half-way through a
shift block.

Of course, you won't find many direct uses of these APIs, since
most of the time, applications will simply use codecs.open() to
automatically benefit from these optimizations.

OTOH, TextIOWrapper doesn't know anything about specific encodings
and thus does not allow for such optimizations to be implemented
by codecs.

We don't have many such specialized implementations in the stdlib,
but this doesn't mean that there's no use for them. It
just means that developers and users are simply unaware of the
possibilities opened by these stateful stream APIs.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, May 25 2011)
2011-05-23: Released eGenix mx Base 3.2.0      http://python.egenix.com/
2011-05-25: Released mxODBC 3.1.1              http://python.egenix.com/
2011-06-20: EuroPython 2011, Florence, Italy               26 days to go

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/