[Python-Dev] the distutils2 repo and 3to2

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon May 23 16:40:30 CEST 2011

Okay, this reply is getting off-topic, so I won't belabor the point (please
email me directly if you want to discuss further).

On May 23, 2011, at 08:25 AM, Fred Drake wrote:

>2011/5/23 Łukasz Langa <lukasz at langa.pl>:
>> The new Ubuntu already ships with Python 3.2.
>
>Uptake on Ubuntu 11.04 will take longer than 10.10 uptake, given the
>reliability issues and the reaction to the new user interface.

You're not required to run the default desktop (Unity) of course.  There are
several options out of the box, including the classic desktop and Unity 2D,
and there are a wide range of supported derivatives of Ubuntu offering
additional desktops, such as KDE (Kubuntu) and Xfce (Xubuntu).

Cheers,
-Barry