[Python-Dev] the distutils2 repo and 3to2

Łukasz Langa lukasz at langa.pl
Mon May 23 13:14:58 CEST 2011

Wiadomość napisana przez Tarek Ziadé w dniu 2011-05-23, o godz. 12:58:

> 2011/5/23 Łukasz Langa <lukasz at langa.pl>:
> ..
>> I'm maintaining a configparser 3.2+ backport for 2.6-2.7 using 3to2.
>
> Do you backport to 3.1 ?

Not really. I personally think people already using py3k will migrate sooner (even if they have to do it on their own) than the folk on 2.x. The new Ubuntu already ships with Python 3.2.

As for Python 2.x I've learnt that keeping compatibility with a Python version without decorators, `io` library, abstract base classes, etc. would mean either diverging branches or reproducing and maintaining bits of the newer stdlib. This is something 3to2 won't help you with as it's out of scope for that tool. For configparser I only support 2.6+ and none the less the backport has a helpers module with a couple of things copied over from 2.7 or 3.1. There's also an external dependency on ordereddict, etc. You see where this is going.

I've heard you're targetting 2.4 compatibility so be prepared that this is not going to be easy.

--
Best regards,
Łukasz Langa

IT Infrastructure Department