[Python-Dev] looking for a contact at Google on the Blogger team

Jesse Noller jnoller at gmail.com
Fri May 20 16:24:29 CEST 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 5:39 AM, Eli Bendersky <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> With respect to Google Blogger, I don't see a good reason to use it as
>>> the platform for the blog.
>>
>> As with any infrastructure, there is a reasonably high cost in
>> changing, as people have become used to a certain way of doing things,
>> and porting the contents from the old system to the new one requires
>> additional effort.
>>
>> Blogger has its problems, but it typically gets the job done well
>> enough (modulo cases like the one currently affecting Doug and his
>> team).
>
> Has the Python insider blog really accumulated enough history and
> cruft to make this move problematic? It's a fairly new blog, with not
> much content in it. From my blogging experience, Blogger has other
> limitations which eventually bite you, and since it's not very
> flexible you can either live with it or move to a more flexible
> platform.
>
> All of this completely IMHO, of course. Just friendly advice ;-)
> Eli

There is ongoing work for an RFP by the board to improve the
python.org publishing system/site to allow us to self-host these
things. Moving PSF properties off of it, and onto another "hosted by
someone else" site is probably not a good idea, but our hands may be
forced if google/blogger can not resolve the issues.

jesse