[Python-Dev] Python 3.x and bytes

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu May 19 13:29:07 CEST 2011

On 19/05/2011 10:25, Łukasz Langa wrote:
> Wiadomość napisana przez Stefan Behnel w dniu 2011-05-19, o godz. 10:37:
>
>>> But why wouldn't "they" expect `b'de' + 1` to work as well in this case? If a 1-byte bytes is equivalent to an integer, why not an arbitrary one as well?
>> The result of this must obviously be b"de1".
> I hope you're joking. At best, the result should be b"de\x01".
The behaviour Stefan suggests is what some "weakly typed" languages like
perl (and possibly php?) do, which masks errors and is rightly abhorred
by Python programmers (although semantically not *so* different from 1 +
1.0 == 2.0). I think it's safe to say that Stefan was joking.

Michael

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/

May you do good and not evil