[Python-Dev] Commit messages: please avoid temporal ambiguity

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed May 11 19:45:39 CEST 2011

On 5/11/2011 12:39 PM, Éric Araujo wrote:

> Funny, I always use the present tense, to convey what the code does now.

Which code ;-).

At the moment you write a push message, your private clone does
something different from the public repository (and other private
clones). At the moment people read a push message, they may not have
pulled the change, so that there is a difference between the repository
and *their* clone. Besides the ambiguity, there is also inconsistency
between writers. Hence my request for a few clarifying keystrokes when
needed.

--
Terry Jan Reedy