[Python-Dev] Commit changelog: issue number and merges

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue May 10 14:59:02 CEST 2011

On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 12:51 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen at xemacs.org> wrote:
> R. David Murray writes:
>  > On Mon, 09 May 2011 18:23:45 -0500, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
>
>  > > *cough* http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/GraphlogExtension
>  >
>  > I'm sorry, but I've looked at the output of that and the mental overhead
>  > has so far proven too high for it to be of any use to me.
>
> How about the hgk extension, and "hg view"?
>
> http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/HgkExtension

I don't think it's really a jump up to the "graphical" level that
we're after. It's more a matter of:

1. Display commit message for current commit
2. Notice that this commit has two parents
3. Ignore any parent commit in the same branch as the current commit
4. For a parent commit in another branch, also display that commit message
5. If the commit in step 4 also has multiple parents, repeat from step
3 (but based off that parent commit)

So a standard 3.1->3.2->default merge could be displayed along the lines of:

Merge from 3.2
  3.2: Merge from 3.1
    3.1: Issue #123456: mod.func now works correctly when argument is negative

It won't help if the last commit on the initial branch was something
boring like "Fix whitespace", but it will be adequate for our typical
single-commit bug fix workflow.

(If nobody does anything before then, I'll see what I can do with the
email hook next week)

Cheers,
Nick.